No, you read that right. I feel that humans don't own dogs...their dogs own them. In a good way of course. You give them your heart and they will love you forever.
I recently saw an article on Buzzfeed about feelings every dog owner is familiar with. I thought I maybe qualify for a couple of those feelings, but when I was finished reading the list, I thought that I pretty much wrote that whole damn thing. I wanted to highlight the ones that I get on the regular as a dog parent. Yeah, that's right, I said "parent". I don't care how much I get made fun of for calling myself her Mamma, but they depend on us that way and I just love her that stinkin much.
1. You feel so helpless when they are sick or hurt - I never want to see her not feeling good. Cause she looks at me with the extra sad eyes and I can't help but tear up. Like the other night, she scraped her paw pad on a rock and I felt so bad for her when the Mr. had to hold her down to put pressure on the bleeding with some corn starch. Ok, maybe not for long cause she got a big bone to chew on afterward. #spoiled.
2. You are so proud of them when they learn a new trick - And it's even cuter the way Bella is so dang proud of herself when you praise her for getting the trick down.
3. When you are so ready for bedtime & they take that as second wind playtime - Or in Bella's case, she jumps up and lays right on top of my pillows and refuses to move. It's cute for maybe a minute... But Mamma needs her beauty sleep, for reals.
4. How dogs are born with the ability to swim in oceans, but avoid a bath - Like the plague. Her kiddie pool outside? All about it, but when Daddy turns on that bath water, she runs to her bed and lays down like that will save her.
5. Keeping a photo journal of their every move - Let's just say I've had to transfer pictures to my computer to have more room on my phone's camera roll more than once.
6. You have the biggest feeling of remorse when they go to the vet - Even for just a nail clipping or a simple shot. She's fine until they come get her to take her back, then she starts doing the swim technique trying to get back to us. It's so pathetic to watch.
7. The guilt you have when you leave them - She knows when we are getting ready to leave the house and it's so sad when she looks at us like, "You're not taking me with you?".
8. That adorable head tilt - I purposely talk to her in a certain high pitch, annoying mommy talk tone just to get her to do her cutie patootie head tilt. With those ears, I can't get enough of the cuteness!
9. Missing them the entire time you're away from them - The Mr. and I plead guilty to missing Bella way too much when we are away from her. We will just go out to dinner for a couple of hours and on our way home one of us will always say, "I miss my puppy" or "We're coming home puppy". So sad I just admitted that.
10. Being greeted by the greatest love in the world - Whether we were just outside for a minute or gone all day at work, when we walk through the door, there is no better feeling than having her soooo excited that you're there with her.
It's a special kind of love.